On Line Schooling
The advancement in technology in our present time and the phenomenal growth of the internet has dramatically influenced the way we do and accomplish things.
One significant aspect that has been largely affected by this advancement is education. This has resulted to the birth of on line schooling.
During early times, earning a degree or finishing a course was mostly accomplished in schools, colleges and universities.
Some of them actually have in place some sort of distance learning program, but they were done through correspondences or information mailed directly to your home address.
However, these days, education can now be done online! There are now colleges and universities offering on line schooling. Various online courses and online degrees from respectable and accredited schools are now being offered and can be completed through the internet… right at the comfort of your own home.
This has opened great opportunities for those who would like to earn a degree but no time to commute from and to campus or for some other reasons, cannot go personally to fulfill the traditional method of learning – which is going to school.
The Advantages of On Line Schooling Over Traditional Campus-Based Schooling
Because of the advantages it poses over traditional method, on line schooling is getting more and more popular these days. While were not saying that traditional schools can be replaced or eliminated, the benefits and flexibility of online education cannot be ignored.
Here are some of the advantages that on line schooling present:
- Flexibility. This is perhaps the most obvious and the greatest benefit that you can get from online education. You can set the time when to go through your lectures and materials. This is really a welcome benefit for those people juggling lots of things in their day-to-day life and try to squeeze in every other activities needed to be done.
- Low Cost. Compare to traditional schooling, on line schooling cost less but the quality of the materials provided are the same, if not better, with campus-based lectures. Universities and colleges providing online education charge lesser tuition fee for their online degree programs.
- Effective Learning. Because of the technology involve, online education tend to be more effective than traditional campus-based education. Study materials are easily and readily available through the internet and you do not need to burn your hand taking notes of every lecture as in the case when you are in a classroom setting.
- Convenient. With all the available materials and methodology whether be it video, audio or contextual aids, it will be your choice or preference what method to use. This makes on line schooling really very convenient.
- Reduced Travel Expense. Because you’re having online classes, you don’t need to travel from your place to campus. That greatly reduces your travel expenses and so thus your travel time.
These advantages are what makes online education appealing and popular to people these days. However, not all courses or degrees are available online because of practical reasons and other things that are not reasonable to be taken online, like experiments and practical laboratory activities.
Anyway, there’s more than enough reason for you to consider on line schooling with the courses and degree programs available.
How Does On Line Schooling Work?
With all the things we’ve talked about on line schooling above, you might ask – how does it work? Well, this depends largely on what school you’re going to enroll to.
Some online providers designed their learning program to be taken entirely online and there are some that provide instruction and lecture materials online but you have to take your examinations on campus.
Date and time of examinations, however, are pretty flexible and depending on your arrangement, you can take it even on weekends.
Things To Consider With On Line Schooling
At this stage, you might already be considering online education. As we have mentioned above, on line schooling has its advantages and positive sides. However, there are things you need to consider before finally committing yourself in this career and life-changing endeavor.
- Time Commitment. Don’t think that online education is easier than classroom-based education. You have to have time to log-on to your computer and participate on your online class. You should have the time to do your homework and interact with your class.
- Discipline. In order to succeed with on line schooling, you need to have self-discipline. The teacher might not remind you to keep up with your class and do your homework – this is your responsibility, so keeping to your schedule is really important here.
- Technical Skill. You don’t need to be a computer or internet genius to take on line schooling. If you can surf or browse the internet and know how to use email, you’re perfectly fine.
- Equipment. You don’t need to have special equipment to take online education. However, a reliable internet connection is a must so you won’t miss anything from your teacher’s lecture.
- Accreditation. This is important! Make sure that the online school you want to enroll to is accredited. Examine the credibility or accreditation of the online degree provider. There are schools that bear accreditation but actually just been given that status by a sister company. These schools are not valid and potential employers would not honor any qualification from them.
If your situation fits the things we mentioned above, you’re good to go ahead with your on line schooling and you’ll be on your way to successfully complete your online education. It might be your ticket to a better life!